The Awqaf Exchange @ WIEF – a side programme of the 13th WIEF held on 22 November 2017, provides a unique platform for awqaf institutions as well as relevant stakeholders to come together to network and exchange views on the management and development of awqaf assets.
Apart from showcasing innovative awqaf projects, the Awqaf Exchange @ WIEF will have experienced speakers address the “Evolving Landscape of Social Finance”. This session will provide valuable insights into the social finance for awqaf projects, Malaysia’s Sustainable and Responsible Investment Sukuk framework as well as awqaf project financing by the Islamic Development Bank.
The Inaugural Awqaf Exchange @ WIEF is expected to be attended by 80 participants mainly from awqaf institutions, bankers and financiers, regulators, academics, and NGOs from Muslim and non-Muslim countries. A former Palestinian Minister of Wakf is also expected to deliver a Special Address during the event.
22 November 2017 (Wednesday)
Sponsor Programme Room 2, Level 2, Borneo Convention Centre, Kuching, Sarawak
Welcoming Remarks by the Hon. Tun Musa Hitam, Chairman, WIEF Foundation
Special Address on ‘Potential of Awqaf Institutions in Palestine’ by H.E. Dr Mahmoud Al Habbash, President’s Advisor for Religious Affairs & Islamic Relations and Supreme Judge of Sharia Courts, Palestine
Session 1 – Panel Discussion on ‘The Evolving Landscape of Social Finance’
This session will provide insights into the latest development in social finance as well as its impact on financing project development.
- Mr Samba Bathily, Chief Executive Officer, Solektra International, USA
- Zainal Izlan Zainal Abidin, Managing Director, Development & Islamic Markets, Securities Commission of Malaysia
- Salman Syed Ali, Senior Economist, Islamic Research & Training Institute (IRTI), Islamic Development Bank
- Volker Nienhaus, Former President, University of Marburg, Germany
Session 2 – Awqaf Discovery Partnership
The session will provide a unique showcase opportunity for owners of selected awqaf projects. The aim of the session is to highlight latest trends in awqaf and social finance that could be used as development models for other institutions.
- Presentation on Project 1 by Husain Benyounis, Secretary General, Awqaf New Zealand (smart waqf for qurbani projects)
- Presentation on Project 2 by Richard AbdarRahman Chignell, Chief Executive Officer, Waqf World Growth Foundation (Islamic crowdfunding)
- Datuk Dr Syed Othman Alhabshi, Former Deputy President Academic, International Centre for Education in Islamic Finance (INCEIF), Malaysia
Session 3 – Sharing Circle
This thematic roundtable discussion lead by facilitators will focus on selected awqaf assets. It allows awqaf and other relevant institutions share ideas and opinions toward the development of their assets in the following segments:
- Education (Facilitator: Zeinoul Abedien Cajee, Founding Chief Executive, Awqaf South Africa)
- Health Care (Facilitator: Ir. Saat Suharto Amjad, Chief Executive, PBMT Ventura, Indonesia)
- Real Estate Development (Facilitator: Dr Mohamad Hisham Dafterdar, Chairman, Awkaf Australia Ltd)
- Commercial & Industrial (Facilitator: Datu Abg Mohd Shibli Abg Mohd Nailie, General Manager, Tabung Baitulmal Sarawak)
End of Programme