9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Johannesburg (Gauteng), South Africa
The WIEF in collaboration with The High Commission of Malaysia, Pretoria, South Africa and the Minara Chamber of Commerce, hosted it’s 4th Roundtable on The Challenges of Development in Africa and Islamic Trade & Finance: Prospects for Growth in Africa at the Michelangelo Hotel, Nelson Mandela Square, Johannesburg, South Africa.
The Roundtable has featured a special address by the Hon. Tun Musa Hitam, Chairman, WIEF Foundation followed by 2 panels of discussions.
The Roundtable generated much discussion on emerging opportunities, challenges and prospects on Islamic trade financing for a sustainable economy in Africa and was attended by prominent personalities in business, experts, intellectuals, development partners, entrepreneurs and media making up a number of 120 participants.
Embassy of Malaysia in South Africa and Minara Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- The Hon. Ebrahim Ismail Ebrahim, Deputy Minister of International Relations and Cooperation, South Africa
- Dr. Birama Sidibe, Vice President Operations, Islamic Development Bank
- Mrs. Evelyn Mungai, Executive Chairman, Speedway Investments Ltd, Kenya
- Mr. Abu Mayanja, Head of Trade & Economic Policy, Uganda National Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Mr. Solly Suleman, President, Minara Chamber of Commerce and Industry, South Africa (Moderator)
- Mr. Ebrahim Ahmed Patel, CEO, Islamic Finance – Wesbank, South Africa
- Dr. Jamil El Jaroudi, Chief Executive Officer, Elaf Bank of Bahrain
- Dr. Muniruddeen Lallmahamood, Regional Representative, Bait Al-Mashura Finance Consultations, Mauritius
- Mr. Alberto Brugnoni, Founder & Chairman of the Board, Association for the Development of Instruments of Alternatives & Financial Innovations (ASSAIF), Italy
- Mr. John A. Sandwick, Specialist, Islamic Wealth and Asset Management, Switzerland (Moderator)