- The 1st World Islamic Economic Forum was held in Kuala Lumpur. This was an important shift that allowed the WIEF to fully focus on promoting business collaborations, building bridges between the Muslim and non-Muslim worlds, and steering the world towards peace and prosperity.
- The WIEF Businesswomen Network was established.
- The World Islamic Economic Forum (WIEF) Foundation was established on 6 March to institutionalise the WIEF. A permanent secretariat, led by the Hon. Tun Musa Hitam, the Former Deputy Prime Minister of Malaysia, was set up in Kuala Lumpur.
- The 2nd WIEF was held in Islamabad, Pakistan.
- The WIEF Education Trust was launched.
- The WIEF Young Leaders Network was established.
- The WIEF marked its first forum in the Middle East. The 4th WIEF was held in Kuwait.
- The WIEF Roundtable Series was established as an extension of the annual WIEF and held in between the annual Fora to help markets address their unique economic challenges and explore new opportunities. The first WIEF Roundtable was held in Bahrain. Subsequently, three more WIEF Roundtables were held in three more cities within the same year – Istanbul, Moscow and Johannesburg.
- The WIEF marked its first forum in Central Asia. The 7th WIEF was held in Astana, Kazakhstan.
- The WIEF marked its first forum outside of the Muslim world. The 9th WIEF was held in London, the United Kingdom.
- The 10th WIEF was held in Dubai with new additions to the Forum with IdeaPad, and Business Exchange.
- The 12th WIEF was held in Jakarta.